1. SkinCeuticals C E Ferulic
- Price: $$$
- Key ingredients: alpha-tocopherol (vitamin E), L-ascorbic acid (vitamin C), ferulic acid, hyaluronic acid, panthenol
- Skin type it’s best for: Normal, dry, and sensitive skin
- Size: 1 ounce (oz).
- What we like: Combo of vitamin E, vitamin C, and ferulic acid helps brighten complexion and increase firmness
- What we don’t like: pricey; smelly
Chances are you’ve heard of this seriously-adored product — and chances are that you (like us) didn’t realize the “E” in “C E” stood for vitamin E.
This is Grossman’s favorite vitamin E pick. She prefers it over others because of the ingredient combo: Vitamin E paired with beloved vitamin C means extra antioxidants, plus they stabilize each other, which helps ensure the product stays effective for as long as possible.
Vitamin C is notoriously loved by derms everywhere, and one of the reasons is that it’s super effective at brightening skin and lightening dark spots. So, with this product, you’re getting all the benefits of vitamin E (to review: deep hydration and free radical protection), plus a brightening factor.
As for ferulic acid, it’s actually another antioxidant (in case you’ve lost count, we’re now up to *three* antioxidants in this single bottle), which also helps brighten skin while offering anti-inflammatory benefits.
Another perk: It also has hyaluronic acid to plump up and hydrate skin and stimulate collagen production, plus panthenol to soothe any irritation.
Did you see the price? Eeek we know — it’s expensive. But Grossman swears it’s the most bang for your buck. It also infamously smells like hot dog water. But don’t worry, the smell disappears once your skin drinks it up.
2. Maelove The Glow Maker Antioxidant Serum
- Price: $$
- Key ingredients: tocopherol (vitamin E), L-ascorbic acid, ferulic acid, hyaluronic acid, aloe leaf juice, grape seed extract
- Skin type it’s best for: normal
- Size: 1 oz.
- What we like: same combo of antioxidants as our more expensive serum pick, but for less money
- What we don’t like: may cause more dryness or breakouts
This serum, which contains natural vitamin E, earns all 11 000+ five-star reviews it has. Those with sensitive skin praise the serum for its non-irritating formula, while others note brighter skin and less scarring within months of use.
So, what’s its secret? It’s packed with the same combo of ingredients we love in our (much pricier) SkinCeuticals pick: Vitamin E, vitamin C, ferulic acid, and hyaluronic acid.
It also has aloe leaf juice and grape seed extract to soothe irritation and provide an extra dose of antioxidants.
Although many reviewers liked the product’s affordability, some did believe it dried out their skin, while others experienced breakouts. People often experience dry skin if they apply hyaluronic acid and don’t apply a moisturizer on top (HA needs a moisturizing topcoat to draw that hydration into the skin).